We discussed maintenance steps you can take to help your transmission to last longer ( See Tips to Help You Protect Your Transmission – Part 1 ). In this post we offer some driving tips that will also help you to safeguard your transmission.
- Make sure your vehicle is at a full stop before shifting into Reverse or Park. If you are going to be stationary for a while, shifting to Park or Neutral will help to reduce the strain on your vehicle’s transmission.
- Turn off your overdrive when you are towing something in order to protect your transmission from excess heat generated by the extra weight. Otherwise, operate your vehicle in overdrive.
- Don’t use your transmission for braking, for example by downshifting when exiting the freeway.
- Always use your parking brake when parking on an incline. The parking brake has a stronger hold than merely putting your car in “Park” before turning it off, so it’s a good idea to use it every time you park your vehicle.
- Help your vehicle shift by easing off the gas pedal slightly right before your car reaches the speed at which it normally shifts. Easing off the gas will actually force the shift at the same time it reduces the load on the clutches. Doing this on a regular basis will help to lengthen the life of your transmission.
Protecting your transmission will help you to avoid costly repairs. If you live in the Tucson, AZ, area and you do need transmission service or repair for your BMW, Audi, Mercedes, VW, or other German automobile, you will find the best service at European Auto Tech.